Sunday 2 August 2009

Debate on circumcision

In Sweden there is now going on a debate on circumcision. In the Swedish cristian newspaper "Dagen" there was the other day an article about the Uppsalaresident Hans Rosling, Professor in public health who is the man behind http://www.gapminder.org/, who says there are no medical reasons not to practice circumcision. Those who claim that are "either not updated or lying". Gunnar Götberg and Yngve Hofvander are two doctors in Sweden who have been trying to abolish male circumcision.

I think it is allright that the public health system also offer male circumcision, especially when there is a risk that it otherwise is made in an insecure way. As long as you pay for it I concider it uncontroversial. What does it matter if you have foreskin or not?

In the Uppsala county board I recently supported to follow the recommendations by SKL that every county should offer circumcision.

Also Peter Wolodarsky at DN means that Gunnar Götberg and others should update on what recent research is saying on the subject.

3 comments:

Mark Lyndon said...

I believe that everyone should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they have part of their genitals cut off. Their body - their decision.

We have a zero-tolerance for female circumcision, so why don't boys get the same protection? A Dutch doctor was severely criticised for proposing a medical circumcision for girls which was just a pinprick, to prevent them from more severe forms.

The inner foreskin is actually the most sensitive part of the penis - if you don't believe me, try just stimulating the glans, and nothing underneath the rim. You'll find it very frustrating.

What does it matter if you have foreskin or not?
If it doesn't matter, then have one yourself. I'll pay for it, if only to prevent you from supporting it for other people's children.

Segersam said...

Thanks for the offer - does it include a trip to America ;-)

I would not mind having my foreskin cut off, and I do not think you can prevent parents from having a cruisal influence on their kids, even in the form of circumcision. It is not a big subject here in Sweden, but I have understood that it definately is in America.

So much more that Hans Rosling has a point - and he should know, being a professor at Karolinska institutet...

Mark Lyndon said...

Email me, and I will pay for it. I'm 100% serious. I can afford it, and as long as the money goes directly to the clinic, I will pay for it in advance.

Even then you are in a better position than the children, because you have the choice. It's also safer and less painful for adults.

And why the double standard for boys and girls?